Operating a fleet is more than just dispatching: in fact, there are a multitude of complex tasks to juggle. To manage these moving pieces, most fleet-dependent companies require a dedicated fleet administrator. And with the UK fleet sector increasing 42% over the past decade, the demand for fleet administrators is growing.
Fleet Administrators Help Streamline Operations, Reduce Fleet Costs, Oversee Drivers, And Much More.
Fleet administrators play a critical role in companies with fleets. This article breaks down what a fleet administrator does, how they can benefit companies of any size, and tools that help fleet administrators be more effective at their jobs.
What Is a Fleet Administrator?
A fleet administrator, or fleet manager, is a professional responsible for overseeing a company’s fleet vehicles.
Fleet administrators must be highly collaborative to manage costs and keep the fleet running smoothly.
The Best Fleet Administrators Are Business Savvy And Excel At Identifying Inefficiencies, Managing People, And Analysing Economic Viability
Get A Head Start on Your Fleet Administration With A Driver Mileage Log
What Does a Fleet Administrator Do?
Fleet administrators are required to ‘wear many hats’ in their daily role. The individual job description will vary depending on the industry and company, but these are some of the duties they may be expected to carry out:
- Identify cost-saving opportunities
- Optimise routes to avoid heavy traffic and reduce mileage
- Dispatch vehicles
- Monitor fuel consumption and check fuel cards
- Secure insurance and process accident claims
- Communicate with drivers about regulations and driving behaviour
- Maintain vehicles and ensure roadworthiness
- Create and enforce safe driving policies
- Conduct licence checks
- Maintain driver files and vehicle records
- Fleet reporting and analysis
- Ensure tax requirements are met
- Conducts vehicle inspections and risk assessments
- Keep up with government rules and regulations
- Ensure drivers comply with HGV hours
- Hire and train drivers
- Manage vendor contracts
- Purchase and lease new vans, and sell old vans
- Assign and oversee pool vehicles
- Manage seasonal tyres
Does My Company Need a Fleet Administrator?
With all of these demands, it’s challenging to properly manage a busy fleet without a dedicated fleet administrator.
Fleet Administrators Aren’t Just For Large Companies: Even Small Fleets Can Gain From A Sole Person Overseeing The Fleet
These duties can be distributed amongst multiple employees. However, it’s common to run into problems with inefficiency and communication. Ultimately this can lead to increased costs and high turnover with staff who aren’t fully qualified for the role.
Regulations governing transportation in the UK are complicated and ever-evolving. Navigating these can be tricky in the best of times. This is especially true for mixed fleets. These may be comprised of leased and owned vehicles of different engine types, each fitting into different tax categories. Not to mention, it gets even more complicated if your company operates in multiple regulatory jurisdictions!
With Fleets Being One Of The Highest Costs For Companies With A Mobile Workforce, It Makes Good Financial Sense To Have A Fleet Administrator
What Tools Do Fleet Administrators Need?
There are great digital tools to help fleet administrators effectively perform their duties. Hands down, the most practical tool at their disposal is fleet administration software.
1. Fleet administration software
Save money and avoid messy, confusing spreadsheets with Fleet Admin. Some of the benefits include:
- Cost visibility & outlier analysis: Manage all your fleet expenses in one place. Receive automatic reports noting any cost outliers, saving you time, money and hassle.
- Task reminders: Be notified of upcoming deadlines, so you never miss an insurance renewal or let a record expire.
- Automated Workflows: Let Vimcar take care of daily workflow management. Automate your processes with electronic reminders, data organisation, cost calculation, and fleet reporting.
- Mileage Updates: Secure your mileage records in one, easy to manage place. Better plan for the future with automated mileage estimates.
The easy-to-use software is designed so anyone can master it regardless of their computer skills. The software couldn’t be easier to set up, and customise your dashboard to make it fit your working style.
2. GPS fleet trackers
Fleet Telematics Are The Number One Tool To Cut Fleet Costs And Save Time
Plus, with fleet administration software and telematics, getting a new fleet administrator up to speed on your fleet’s operations will be a breeze.
Costs associated with running a fleet can get out of control fast. Having a fleet administrator managing operations can actually reduce costs and save time in the long run.
Fleet Managing Tools Like Fleet Admin Allow You To Avoid Hefty Fines And Foolproof Your Business
To learn more about Fleet Admin and the ways it will save you time and money, contact Vimcar’s world-class customer service team today.