The Vimcar Dongle
There are four simple steps you’ll have to follow to install the Vimcar Dongle into your vehicle (just consult the instructions sent with your dongle). Before this you should:
- Create your account
- Download the Vimcar app or open the web version
- Create a 'vehicle' in your user account
Throughout your installation, we will provide you with direct contact with a member of our team and a free onboarding session.
Any questions? Just send us a message: firstname.lastname@example.org
The onboard diagnosis interface for vehicles with a combustion engine is standardised across the UK and EU. Typically it can be found in the top right of the footwell. If not, check the following:
- The central console area
- The area above the central console
- The area under the dashboard, directly behind the steering column
- In between the steering column and the central console
- On the right, between the steering column and the central console
- On the left, between the steering column and the central console
- Inside or underneath the glove compartment
If in doubt, the car’s user manual should tell you where the interface is positioned.
If you are still having trouble, just contact email@example.com.
The Vimcar Box
It only takes a few minutes to self-install the Vimcar Box - just follow the steps below:
- Attach the red cable to the positive terminal of the battery and the black cable to the negative terminal.
- Attach the ground connection to the skrew on the chasis, next to the battery.
- The LED light should light up to show it is working.
- Then attach it to the battery/battery cover with the adhesive tape provided and you're good to go!
The battery is usually found in the engine compartment. To reach it, open the bonnet and, if present, the cover of the car battery.
Other locations of the battery:
- Under the driver’s seat
- Under the passenger’s seat
If you cannot find the battery, have a look in your car’s user manual. In the unlikely event that your battery is covered by other vehicle parts, please contact a mechanic.
The Vimcar Software
Once you have signed your contract with Vimcar, we can begin with the following steps:
- We will send you an email with your Vimcar activation link
- Once activated, you can then log in using the ‘login’ button in the top right-hand corner of any Vimcar webpage
- Choose ‘Vehicles’ from the left-hand menu to create your vehicles - here, you'll enter the vehicle type, make, model, registration number and Dongle ID
- Repeat step 3 with every vehicle you will be tracking, make one journey in the vehicle to activate and then you are good to go!
Once the hardware has arrived every customer is offered a tour of the software and an in-depth manual on how it everything works.